Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Where are you...Christmas?


The other day I realized that there are only five days until Christmas eve. So far this holiday season, everything has been put on a list and checked off. Meaning, buy that present..done. Make these goodies..done -with little joy in the process. When this realization came to me..it hit me pretty hard. We have had a few christmas parties...our family party in Logan which I love...but we had not taken the time to do some of our favorite tradtions. We were seriously missing the Christmas spirit. All of us.
Kenna was so slammed with projects and homework...Shawn was and is working L O N G days in this cold weather...Matt and I just busy with day to day things and church callings etc.
Our stockings were in a pile on the shelf..we had them out of the box but never hung them. Our manger and traditions there - undone. Tree decorated...lights up...presents wrapped...we were going thru the motions but it wasn't enough.
In this world..and this life...there are few moments that compare to Christmas magic. The spirit of giving just the right gift that you cannot wait for the receiver to open. Warm lights, wonderful smells, stories of our dear Savior's birth.
I sat our family down Sunday night..turned off all the lights..except the tree..and expressed my concerns. I then read from an amazing book from President Packer that speaks of the spirit of Christmas, Christ's birth, Santa Clause (yes he was mentioned) and finding the joy it all brings. It talks about "believing" and growing older. AND, says it all in the most wonderful way. My dear cousin new my concerns and had traveled in the snow to fax this book to me. (Thanks Lisa!!)
After my teary plea (shocking I know - ha ha) we hung our stockings...made our gingerbread house..wrapped some presents and watched our old santa claus is coming to town movie. Every few days..we repeat this same thing. Turning off all the lights and sit quietly around the tree; place a piece of straw in our manger for a good deed done...thinking of those we can help out this time of year, reading our favorite Christmas stories, watching the "classic" Christmas movies and remembering the babe, in swadling clothes...who is our greatest "gift" of all.
Welcome back Christmas...and the warmth and magic you bring.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

What a nice post! I'm so glad you could take time to relax and feel of the Christmas spirit even with things so busy. I love your traditions!!