Monday, June 8, 2009

My Hero

My Mom has always been someone to look up to. A battle with Rheumatic Fever when I was two has left her with many heart and health problems but you'd never know it. It never stopped her from serving her family or many others. And as she battles liver and kidney disease today - the same is true.
For her birthday this year - I wrote her a poem that kind of popped in my head as we were shopping for her gardening clogs.

If You Walked In Her Shoes

If you walked in her shoes you will see
A woman who's family is her priority.

If you walked in her shoes, you might know
The trials she's been thru and how she's grown.

If you walked in her shoes, you will find
Her gentle nature and heart so kind.

If you walked in her shoes, you'd find there -
A painter, gardner, and party planner extraordinaire.

If you walked in her shoes, you might hear
Her words of comfort and advice we hold dear.

If you walked in her shoes you'd see the clan
Of little ones who call her "gram".

If you walked in her shoes, you'd see the way
She taught us to serve others and how to pray.

If you walked in her shoes - as I have tried
As a Mother, woman, daughter and wife...
You'd see why they are so hard to fill
No matter what size or how steep the hill -
You'd want to be like her what ever you do
If you took a moment, to walk in her shoes.

I love you Mom.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I was once told that you can tell a lot about someone by looking at their kids. Taking that into account, your mom rocks!

(Just look at my kids when they're sleeping, OK?)

Melbell said...

Awwww - thanks Mikey! Right back atcha!

Rachel said...

Mel! What a nice post and poem about your mom! And I must say I agree with what Mikey said!

NikkiD said...

LOVE IT!