Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dear Santa

Dear Santa,
I have been really good this year. I would like just one thing for Christmas this year.
A Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM ultra telephoto zoom lens with removable tripod socket :)
If you have an extra one lying around of course....and thank you.


So - my neighbor loaned me this bad boy this past weekend. Whoa boy. I took this little, and I say little lightly, gem with us to Antelope Island. If you can humor me for a moment....I will share with you a few pics and get all photography nerdy for a moment.
I could not believe the OS (optical stabilizer) with this lens being as big as it was - awesome...it was windy and my photo's still turned out clear (using my tripod of course). The HSM (hyper sonic motor) is so quiet and the AF (auto focus) speed is amazing - this is a 150 to 500 lens - shooting wildlife with a bird flying and zooming in and out quickly to get the shot - changing my DOP - WOW, it kept up! - I was SO impressed! It would be exactly the same for sports - what a blast!
I love this picture - the horizon...the meadow...BUT......let's get a little closer shall we????????
Let's just say I didn't want to get as close to this guy as it looks - (they can weigh as much as 900 lbs...there is your buffalo fact for the day). We were right off the road and he was up a ridge.. the park ranger said to stay a football field away. I would imagine he knows what he is talking about ;)

This one doesn't seem very cool but we were up the mountain by the restaurant if your familiar with Antelope Island and this was clear down on the main part of the island.
We watched them drop from the plane and float all the way down.
I also got some great shots of a killdeer, a group of black-necked stilt and a long billed curlew. Rare? Extinct? No...nothing amazing like that but in focus? Up close? Heck YES! Maybe I will share them one day :)
So thank you Matt my friend. I owe you a photoshop lesson. Or two ;)

3 comments:

Mike said...

I need it. Neeeeeed. And I don't even have a camera that takes it. Yet, I still need. Maybe I just need to buy a truck that can run stuff over.

Nat said...

So awesome! Those pictures are beautiful. I am duly impressed - with you and the lens!

Andrea Graves :) said...

This is SO fun! And yes, I ::WANT:: ::NEED:: that lens! LOL! LOVE your pics, TFS! :)