We go enough that we know the black and white geese will be the first to honk at our arrival
and we have a little white duck the kids called "crook wing" as he has a large feather that sticks out of his left wing but he seems to get along fine.
It was cold but it was a beautiful morning.
As the ducks started coming out of the pond - we noticed one brown duck limping and could hardly walk on his leg. Our hearts absolutely broke watching this beautiful sweet creature suffer and try to catch up with the others to get some bread.

The kids started getting closer to give him a chance at some bread. I walked up to him and bent down and he took the bread from my hand. I notice that he had fishing line and a lure wound around his mouth and leg. Instantly we wanted to lessen his suffering. Matt ran home for our cell phone and scissors. Kenna kept the other ducks fed and we tried to keep our little duck out of the water until we could offer some help.
Matt grabbed a neighbor for a ride back and he and I caught the little duck and cut him free.
His leg will probably never work properly as the line seemed to have been there a long time but he happily jumped in the water with a full belly and free of the line around his mouth and legs.

My children both came right home and wrote in their journals and they just emulated happiness as they had helped one of God's creatures. I am very thankful for such an opportunity and I love that they have both been blessed with the gift of compassion.
This little experience made me think of a talk I recently read by President Monson....
"Children have the capacity for compassion. They have no fear to express their genuine feelings...
I reflect on the Savior’s capacity for compassion. “Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you. …
“… And he did heal them every one. …
“… And he did heal them every one. …
What power, what tenderness, what compassion did our Master and Exemplar thus demonstrate! We, too, can bless if we will but follow His noble example. Opportunities are everywhere. Needed are eyes to see the pitiable plight and ears to hear the silent pleadings of a broken heart. Yes, and a soul filled with compassion, that we might communicate not only eye to eye or voice to ear but, in the majestic style of the Savior, even heart to heart." May 1991 Ensign
Well, I do believe I have my topic for FHE tomorrow night!!!!





2 comments:
Your duck story made me want to cry! How cool that you were able to save the little guy... Sooo sad though!!
What a neat story! Thank you so much for sharing. It really got me thinking about the power of compassion. It's so needed in the world today. What beautiful examples you guys are! Thank you!
Post a Comment