Tuesday, January 27, 2009

School Lunch


As we talk about our day at dinner time, one of the questions I always ask the kids is "what was for lunch today?"
It's a good way to see what they are eating or not eating ;)

I have had a few issues with the public school lunch system in the past. Many times as my kids were and currently are, in sixth grade...I have heard stories of the kitchen running out of food...small, different lunches being served instead etc. (but, we are charged the same amount in our accout.) I hate it when they are last for lunch.

I know, as a parent, it is my responsiblitily to keep money in their lunch account. The system is that...if you run out of money in your account, you get this little fake lunch and a warning. I believe they do this for two days. Kenna has told me stories of sharing her lunch with a friend who didn't have lunch money etc. (I guess I am grateful, however, that she at least would get's a pb & j out of graham crackers !?!)

Well, my dear son forgot to tell me he needed more lunch money. He usually is pretty good about it but forgot. I believe it had been two days. He was told he didn't have any money and couldn't get lunch. As this story unfolded after my daily question..(see beginning of my rant, lol) my heart broke. Thinking of my 15 year old son, standing in the lunch line and ready for lunch.... then have to leave with nothing...well, I can't explain how horrible I felt. You know us as women, any opportunity to torture our selves with guilt - we're first in line - ha ha. But to have that happen, or to know Kenna get's this little fake icky lunch when I think she is getting a full hot lunch..is just upsetting. I know they cannot give free lunches but isn't there a better way? I am going to choose a day to check their accounts more regularly and I am just as much at fault. I just wish it could be handled differently.

"No child left behind"....hmmmmm............................unless they are hungry?

3 comments:

Nat said...

Oh the joys of the public school system! I'm sorry I don't have any great advice; the politics of it all are beyond me. But I'm sorry Matt had to go without lunch. That broke my heart too. Poor guy! I guess the best I can offer is good luck! :-)

Mike said...

They should put it on your "tab" and make you pay it off within ___ amount of days and call you or send you a letter in the mail. If parents didn't pay the tab off in a certain amount of time the the district should charge interest and not let the kid move on to the next grade till the bill's paid.

There are too many kids that get breakfast for free, lunch for free, AND a take home meal for free to have this happen. You should be in public office, Mel. I'd vote for you!

NikkiD said...

I agree. I think that Columbia ES is a little better at giving a grace period. I got three letters yesterday telling me that my kids were out of money, but Jake told me that he still got a full meal even though there was a balance of -$5.00. But I don't think anyone should get denied food...sorry to here that the Jr. High isn't as nice as Columbia.