Sunday, May 4, 2008

Influenza who?

Last Friday, after a lovely night at Lonestar for my brother-in-law's birthday dinner-I had an extremely sudden visit from influenza B! Let me just say-it was NOT a welcomed visit. Why is it that certain bouts of the flu, always come after a huge meal that you vow to never eat again as long as you live. (grilled shrimp and rice pilaf in case anyone is wondering..ok....getting woosy just typing it...gulp)
As I spent the next four days with my new visitor-between praying for relief-the following thoughts came to my mind.
How thankful I am to have had such a loving Mother and Grandmother who, on countless occassions held my head, brought me a wet washcloth, brought me sprite and made sure the "blue" bucket was very near. And how thankful I am for a loving family who put up with me and an awesome husband who kept our household running. I couldn't keep down even fluids until Monday and the only thing I wanted was water because I was so dehydrated but it couldn't be tap water...it had to be fridge water. Can you feel their pain about now???
Our RS had a ward quilting activity for the humanitarian center and they even went in my place and all learned to quilt in between checking on me and doing yard work.
After a trip to the Dr Monday - I was finally able to keep fluids down. Tuesday my thoughts turned to...
why did I get so sick?...what should I learn from this experience (I know, I am a geek!)
I need to not take my health for granted and not put off today what I can do tomorrow. I find myself not using my time as wise thinking, I'll take care of that tomorrow...to gain better appreciation for my Mom how she is battling so many heath problems and keeps a smile....OR, maybe to be more appreciative of how great of a family I have.... OR how I should maybe cut my self a break sometimes...I really do an ok job running home, family, church and work...
I shared these thoughts with my tdh this weekend....he just grinned and said, "Honey, I think you were just - sick." I love that man.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

How sad!!! That has GOT to be the worst. And it's not like you were able to "relax" those 4 days when you were down! Hopefully you're feeling better...